Front Steps – 5/17/2019

If there is one thing houses need, its constant maintenance. Today’s edition features our front porch steps. About 5 years earlier, we had re-finished the porch steps. They were more than due again. This time, it was more than just paint that we needed. Several steps became rotten and needed to be replaced. I’m far from a carpenter, so you experienced home improvement people may need to avert your eyes at what comes next.

I started by removing the boards that had the most rot. About half of the screw heads still worked and were able to be unscrewed the traditional way. However, there were more stubborn screws that required me to chisel out the screw head. From there, I used vice grips to turn the screws by hand. Only then could I remove the boards…

Once I removed all of the really bad boards, it was time to deal with the railing. Those were nearly completely rotted out and needed to be replaced. I was fearing this part of the project as it would require skill and accuracy. Don’t worry, I got Danelle to help for the skill and accuracy part!

Here are the steps with the new boards installed. Now all I have to do is the the railings back on!

Every project needs a proper mess before it can be complete!

And finally (we’ll skip the part with all of my cursing and frustration), the finished product with the railings re-installed!

Because the boards on the steps are new treated lumber, they need to dry out before they can be painted. You can expect an update later this summer as we re-finish the whole thing.

Hogan Haake

New Kitchen Cabinet – 12/29/2017

Danelle and I wanted a bit more storage space in our kitchen. We had a space where we put stuff on the floor, but that was just a bit messy. We decided a small cabinet on the end would do the trick.

We went out to a local kitchen and cabinet store. We took a drawer from the kitchen with us to match the color, pattern, and cut of the wood. What we got was a bunch of lets look over here and check. We got a quote for a cabinet that wasn’t a great match and it seemed to be loaded with commission…

On a whim, we tried out Lowes hardware store with the same single drawer. They had a near perfect match that we purchased same day.

Fast forward to today and we got the cabinet in and we’re installing it. It came with a large amount of very large screws, but we were attaching it to another cabinet and I didn’t trust that we wouldn’t mess something up. We ended up putting the whole cabinet up with liquid nails glue. It helps that it was wedged in floor to ceiling by the soffit. The glue held it in place and we’re quite happy with the final look!

If you can’t tell, the new cabinet is the shallow one of the left.

Hogan Haake